Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Saturday, April 24, 2004

About Me
I graduated college almost 6 years ago. First, I worked as a systems engineer for a big consulting company working on government contracts. Then, in a fit of excitement at the potential riches of stock options, I left the big company to go work at a startup as a software engineer. I got there just as the tech bubble burst. Despite that minor problem, I've managed to stay at the company for almost 4 years. I've survived 2 business models, several rounds of layoffs and I'm on my third CEO. In the last year or two, we've finally gotten it all together. We're building something that people actually want and we're doing it well.
And yet, despite that, I've decided to leave. My wife, D, is reaching a significant transition point in her career. (I'm not going to go into detail on it. She's a much more private person than I am, so she'd prefer that I not discuss her job.) I had always expected that I would leave engineering at some point and I realized that this would be the perfect time to do it. So, I decided to go to law school. And, in a few months, I'll be moving cross-country to go to the University of Washington. I'm pretty excited and my wife is thrilled. She's from Washington state, so she sees it as a bit of a homecoming, even though her hometown is pretty far from Seattle.
I've been a ballroom dancer since my sophomore of college, almost 10 years. It's how I met my wife. (It's also how I got the song named after me.)