Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Saturday, April 24, 2004

I'm very interested in politics, but I don't plan to talk about it here. Except to tell this one story, which is more about my family than anything.

My family considers civic involvement to be the responsibility of every adult. So, when I turned 18, my dad took me to register to vote, just like his father had taken him to register. As we walked up the the election board office, my dad said to me, "Now, Jim, I want you to know that you can register however you want. You can register Democrat. You can register Independent. You can even register Republican. I'm sure some nice family would take you in."

So, that's kinda where I'm coming from. On the other hand, there's a million quality political blogs out there, and I don't think I have a lot to add to the discussion, so I'm going to stay out of it. Except for when it comes to technology and the law. One of my inspirations to go to law school was a feeling that a lot of bad policy and legal decisions are being made that reflect a poor understanding of technology by the decision-makers. I hope to contribute to improving that understanding.