Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Sunday, May 09, 2004

Evan says more nice things about me today. I'm pretty sure I'm not so much cool as a geek with pretensions, but I certainly appreciate the thought.

Actually, I consider myself two types of geek, techie and ballroom. Both types tend to be characterized strange obsessions that are hard for outsiders to understand. And both speak languages that resemble English in structure, but seems to be using the words in a strange way. ("I need the MAC address on your PCMCIA card before you can use the WLAN." "So, this step starts facing diagonal center. Do a fallaway reverse slip-pivot followed by a double reverse spin.") In fact, I'm very much looking forward to adding a new type of geek (law) to my collection.