Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Ever since I got accepted to UW back in January, I'd been wanting to take a visit to Seattle. I'd only been there once before for a few days and I didn't even see the university. Also, it was in August, so the weather wasn't the typical Seattle. (I like to tease D about that. "I've been to Seattle before. The weather was spectacular." Then she rolls her eyes. I get a lot of that.)

So, I was happy when among the many nice e-mails and letters I've been getting from UW I got an invitation to an open house for admitted students last Friday. I thought it would be good to see the school and, almost as important, get a feel for the city. Also, I made plans to have lunch with a current 1L. He's a former biotech guy, so we're fellow geeks. The student bar association matched us.

Anyway, that was pretty much my first Seattle experience of the trip (except for getting caught in traffic on I-5). We didn't eat anywhere exciting, but the conversation was good. He had a lot of useful advice to offer. The only minor problem was that after lunch I had a few hours to kill before the open house started. So, I walked the length of campus (twice). And went to Barnes & Noble. Bought a book. Had a coffee (how cliche).

The open house was also pretty cool. First, they gave us a tour of the building, which is nice and shiny and new. Then we had a little meet-and-greet with our fellow students-to-be. As it turns out, there's at least 2 other people moving out there from DC. Of course, there's a number of people who went to UW for undergrad, as well as a bunch more from other parts of the state, including one woman from D's hometown on the desert side of the state. Then, we went to the finals of the 1L moot court competition. I was very impressed with the competitors. I'm somewhat interested in moot court, so it was a nice (and intimidating) first look. It was all a ton of fun, although I do wish they'd had a little more food at the event, cuz I was definitely hungry when I got back to my uncle's place that night.

On Saturday, I dealt with the other item at the top of my to-do list. I got together with a realtor and saw almost every neighborhood in the north half of the city, and a little of the suburbs. We're not going decide where to live until D has a job, but there's no harm in getting an early start. It's not going to be easy to find the perfect place that's affordable, walking distance to restaurants like D's old place in Foggy Bottom, and an easy bus ride to school. So, wish us luck...

After the tour with the realtor, I had dinner with a friend and got the tour part two. We saw more neighborhoods, saw the new public library and ended up at a coffee shop in Redmond. And, I got to see both bridges over Lake Washington. Who could ask for anything more?

Now, I'm back in DC. I think the cicadas got significantly louder. There's not so many around our home, but the golf course across from my office is overrun. You can actually hear them through the window at my cubicle. Most impressive.