Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Sunday, May 09, 2004

Lists of favorite books seem to be the in thing to do these days (see for example Evan's list of lists), so I guess I'll add my contribution to the fray.

The Jim's Polka List of Favorite Books (fiction and nonfiction)
1. Roots by Alex Haley
2. The Death and Life of Great American Cities by Jane Jacobs
3. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkein
4. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
5. Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
6. Guns Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond
7. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
8. The Ringworld books by Terry Pratchett
9. Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card
10. Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
11. Glory Season by David Brin
12. The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes

Honorable Mention: One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Notes: This is what happens when an engineer makes a list like this. The engineering curriculum doesn't leave much space for literature. In fact, only 2 of the books on the list were read for school (4 in high school, 2 in college). Three of them made the list thanks to my undergrad English major wife (5, 7 and 10) and one thanks to my English major sister (the honorable mention). One Hundred Years of Solitude is only honorable mention because I still haven't decided whether I liked it, even though it's been almost a year since I read it. I know I thought it was a good book, but I don't think that "like" would describe my feelings about it. I can at least say that I'm happy I read it. Maybe it'll be promoted someday when I understand it better.