Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Sunday, May 02, 2004

Speaking of lamb... D and I went to the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival yesterday. Although it sounds slightly odd to a city boy like me, it was very cool. It's the largest festival of it's kind in the US (according to the sign at the entrance). D likes to knit, so she was particularly interested in the yarn vendors. I was mostly along for the ride. In addition to the vendors, we got to see prize-winning sheep and rams. The best part was the sheepdog demonstrations. We got to watch a demonstration of several highly-trained working dogs (border collies) herding sheep. This led me to conclude two things:
1. Those dogs are amazing. They have complete focus on their task. They respond instantly to their handlers. And they seem to love doing it.
2. Sheep are really weird.

I was also outside long enough to pick up a nice red sunburn on the back of my neck. This is very annoying to me. I mean, what's the point of being half-Greek if I'm not even going to get a decent tan out of it?