Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Monday, June 21, 2004

Another Big Fat Greek Wedding

We went to a great wedding on Saturday. The bride, E, is an old friend of mine. I think we met in Sunday School when we were 6 or 7, but I really date our friendship from the church youth group in 9th or 10th grade. We (me, E, and my brother) all joined the church's Greek dance group when I was in 10th and the two of them were in 9th grade. We have a lot of great stories from that time, including winning two dance competitions and traveling to a number of places to perform. (Specifically, staying a weekend at Ocean City, MD so we could perform at a local church's festival.)

I knew that she had gotten Zephyros, one of the best Greek bands around, to do the music for the wedding. The reception was at Harbor Court, which is one of the nicest hotels in Baltimore. So, I had high hopes for the wedding. I wasn't disappointed.

E's husband isn't Orthodox, but he agreed to get married in the Orthodox church. In fact, it was the first wedding I've been to in that church since my own. This wedding was just as nice. Like I said to some people at the reception, "If there's not candles, crowns and chanting in multiple languages, how do you know you're married?" E's nieces and nephew did as well as you could hope as flower girls and ring-bearer. A small high point was the ring-bearer getting a (very loud) high-five from his father after successfully handing off his burden to the priest.

The reception was great. I think I got a little carried away with the appetizers, but there's something about roaming trays of food that I find impossible to resist. Dinner was the best food I've ever had at a wedding. And, as it turns out, yet again we were seated at that table. You know, the loud table. The table laughing the most. The one constantly clinking glasses to make the bride and groom kiss. That was us. The table was half E's family and half friends and the age range was from mid-20s to mid-60s, but that didn't stop us. That's the problem with inviting all those Greeks, I guess. :-) (D had a good time shaking her head at our antics.)

But what really brought it all together was the dancing. The band was high-energy and having a good time, so we were, too. Bride and groom were out on the floor for almost every dance. My family is famous for loving to Greek dance, as well, so we were out there, too. And D, who is the best non-Greek Greek dancer I've ever known, did us proud, too. My arm and leg muscles are still sore from the fun.