Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Sunday, June 13, 2004

A benefit of the lousy weather is that I had a good chance to hang out and talk with my dad. He's pretty excited about my new career path. I think he's looking forward to when I start calling to discuss cases with him. (I think I may have mentioned before that he's a lawyer in Baltimore. If not, well, now you know.)

We talked a bit about legal ethics, especially in the context of the Bush administration's torture memo (discussed by Michael Froomkin, among others). My dad's been thinking about ethics a lot in the last few months, so the discussion was very interesting. I think I'm going to put off posting about it for tonight, though. Hopefully, I'll get to it tomorrow.

I also learned that there is an actual family connection to Nancy Pelosi. I mentioned a while ago that she was related to former mayors of Baltimore. Well, I was slightly inaccurate. Her father and brother were both mayors. And, apparently her family used to stay about a block away from my dad's family when they went to the beach in the summer. My dad told me that Pelosi is friends with my aunt and that she may have babysat for him a few times. Even now, my family manages to surprise me with its connections.

I also learned that my dad and I get our information from all the same sources. We even read the same political blogs.