Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Sunday, June 13, 2004

Unfortunately, the weather was pretty crappy Friday, so we didn't do as much sailing as we would have liked. On Friday morning, I drove up to meet my dad and we went together to the boat. My stepbrother, A, was there already. (Confusingly, my brother and stepbrother have the same name. The only thing that saves us is that my brother almost always uses the common nickname while my stepbrother uses the full name.) We decided that we would stick with day-sailing in the area, rather than try going across the Chesapeake Bay in the rain with thunderstorms predicted. It was a lot of fun for a while. The winds were blowing steadily and we were moving at a good clip. On the other hand, we were the only boat on the water, which is rarely a good sign. Even the working boats were already docked for the day. But, like I said we were having a good time. We decided to come in once the rain started coming down heavily. By the time we had the boat docked and secured, we were well and fully soaked. On the bright side, I didn't get sunburned this time. :-)

We spent the afternoon watching the broadcast of Reagan's funeral (mostly the procession). After 10 minutes of listening to the mindless babbling of the reporters on FoxNews and CNN we switched to CSPAN. I think that the other networks should have taken a lesson from the CSPAN way. Regardless of whether you hated him, worshipped him or anything in between, a funeral is not the time to be expressing that. A funeral should be about respect and contemplation. CSPAN allowed the space for that to happen.

I got home at about 10 PM to a rude shock. Actually, I knew it was coming, so it wasn't much of a shock, but it wasn't much fun either. We still had a significant amount of cleaning to do before our condo was ready for showing. So, Friday night saw me scrubbing the bathtub and sweeping off the balcony. I sure know how to have a good time, don't I?