Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Back In Town

We just got back today from this group's annual conference. Basically, it's four days worth of sitting around and talking. And I mean that in a good way. Some of the discussion is formal, in groups with a particular theme. But just as much happens over beers late at night. It's a very fun group for me, because it's so different from my usual crowd. Most of the fellows are academics - grad students, college professors, deans and presidents, but they don't stand on ceremony. Everybody gets to talk and is received equally.

It's also the most liberal group I ever get to hang out with. In this group, I'm the right-winger. I'm not sure there's more than 2 Republicans in the group. As you can imagine, watching Bill Clinton speak at the Democratic National Convention was a pretty special experience.

On the other hand, after only being home for a day and a half over the last 2 weeks or so, it's going to be good to sleep in my own bed tonight.