Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Thursday, August 26, 2004

Last Day

Yesterday was my last day of work, after 4 years and 3 months with my company. I came in knowing that there was a better than 50% chance that I would leave after the first year and left as the most senior of the software engineers (and the 7th most senior person in the company). This has been a significant period in my life.

So, it's nice that everyone else treated it that way, too. We had my farewell lunch at a place called Metropolis, in Reston. The food is OK, but the dining room is large and it is all-you-can-eat. There were about 35 of us. Much food was eaten, and they called for a speech. I said some touching words. Then I ruined it by making a reference to stock options. :-)

Yesterday afternoon was also our regular engineering all-hands meeting. Usually, our CTO does a quick Powerpoint presentation about big sales, new research grants, that sort of thing. This week the first slide was "Exeunt - followed by monkey: Jim *********". Then he made a nice little speech of appreciation. We worked together a lot back when he still programmed, so his words really meant a lot to me. Then, they gave me a little going-away present: a Nintendo Game Boy Advance! It was far beyond what I was expecting and confirmed what I already suspected: leaving this crowd is going to be one of the worst things about heading off to law school.

So, definitely a bittersweet day, but I'm pretty sure I'll be running across that crowd again, so I can't be too sad. And, I really do believe the company is headed for big success, even if I'll be rooting them on from the sidelines.