Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Tuesday, August 03, 2004

My Sister

My little sister's in town! Yay. Well, she's in Baltimore now, but that's several thousand miles closer than usual. Usually, she lives in Catania, Sicily.

After she graduated from college, CM went to Europe and traveled around for about 8 months. She spent a few months in Ireland, celebrated Christmas in Portugal with my stepmother's family and somehow ended up in Sicily. Visiting a friend, I think.

Anyway, while she was there, she met a boy (A). As I can testify, sometimes you meet someone and plans change significantly. In CM's case, she extended her stay by 2 months. She stayed long enough to make me nervous about her making it to the wedding. She was going to be a bridesmaid and there was something about having enough time to get her dress altered. (Of course, it doesn't take much to make you nervous right before a wedding.) But, it was all good. She got back about a month before.

She spent about 3 months back in the US, trying to decide what to do next. Eventually, she decided that she wanted to find out if A was the guy for her. The jury's still out on that, but it's going pretty well so far. They've been living together for 2 years now while he's finishing school. (They're pretty close in age, but he's behind her in school because of the mandantory military service in Italy.) She teaches English 20 or 30 hours a week and enjoys the Italian life.

I'm very proud of my sister for doing all this. She made the brave choice to go back and it's worked out really well for her. She doesn't know what she wants to do with her life yet, but at least she's doing something interesting. She's even nearing fluency in Italian now. And, maybe I'll get a brother-in-law out of it.

On the other hand, I miss having her around. I have an excellent relationship with my siblings, but I don't get to see them nearly as often as I'd like. This weekend will be our first time together since Christmas. I plan to use the opportunity to convince both of them that they need to move to Seattle. Will my evil plan succeed? Tune in next week.....