Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Thursday, August 19, 2004

Women's Gymnastics

As I'm watching the women's gymnastics finals right now, I'm reminded of the one thing I really dislike about these events. I don't understand why they feel the need for music and dance moves in the women's floor exercise. These women are spectacular athletes and I love seeing their tumbling runs, but when they're dancing to the music, they look stiff and uncomfortable. (Except for Khorkina, who is really a graceful dancer, too.) The men do this the right way. No music, just tumbling (and some break-dancing, which is always cool).

Update: On the other hand, if you're going to have music, choose some good dancing music like the swing that Carly Patterson just competed to (and won with).