Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

First Day

I just got back from my first day of orientation. Now, I'm pretty tired. For one thing, there was the horrible strain of having to set my alarm clock for the first time in almost a month. But beyond that, it was just a long day. I don't really have any complaints, just the fact that they were squeezing so many different people into such a small period. Everybody seemed very nice, and the professors were all very enthusiastic, which is good to see.

At lunch, we met our peer mentors. They seem like a pretty good group, and not too stressed out. One of them seems to be trying for the role that Energy Spatula has carved out for herself as the "don't worry about it, just relax and have another beer" peer mentor. But, even the self-confessed super-obsessive studier didn't seem too crazy. (Although there was something mentioned about studying 12 hours a day for 3 days over Thanksgiving.....)

Then I went to buy books. Ouch. That's all I have to say.

Oh, also, one of the peer mentors said that the worst part of 1L was orientation. I think I see where he was coming from. It'll be nice to start classes.