Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

So Much To Say

A lot has happened in the last few weeks that I haven't had a chance to blog about. I'm getting to the point where I'm afraid to start posting about it because it's such a huge overhang. So, I'm just going to bite the bullet and get started.

First, there was the process of moving out. The movers were scheduled to come on Monday morning (Aug 30th). Except for a break Friday night to go to a friend's wedding, we spent the 4 days before doing nothing but packing. Even so, we were up until 2 am the night before finishing things up. To our great shock, the movers were beyond punctual. They showed up at 7:30 am, ready to get started. The building wouldn't let them use the elevator until 9, so they did the packing we were paying them to do (computer and dishes, mainly) and took inventory. According to D's meticulous manifest, we had packed 99 boxes and 10 suitcases. The professionally packed stuff added 10 more. And that's even though we did our best to cull stuff before we started packing.

Anyway, the driver of the moving truck scheduled delivery for the 7th, which did not give us much time for the trip. We were feeling the pressure the whole way over. Our movers have a truck tracker on their web page, sorta like UPS. When we checked his progress on the second night (when we were in Illinois), he was 500 miles ahead of us in South Dakota. That's a lot of pressure.

So, I think we would have had more fun on the trip if we hadn't had to do it so fast. While we did manage to stop at Mt. Rushmore (my top priority), we skipped a drive through the Badlands and we didn't get to stop at the Spam Museum either.

I gave the quick summary of the trip already, but I have a few notes to add. One, we spent the night in Missoula, MT on a game day, which meant we paid more than we thought we should and had trouble finding a room. I'm not really sure what we could have done to avoid it, though.

Also, I was surprised at how beautiful Idaho was. Montana was pretty great, too, but it went on for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long. Idaho was beautiful and done in 70 miles, which is what you're looking for at the end of a long trip. In particular, the Idaho side of the pass on the border with Montana was just spectacular.

Eastern Washington was about what I expected. I'd kinda been there already visiting my inlaws, so I wasn't surprised at the desert. We saw a bunch of dust devils on the way across, which was new to me and very cool. One of the big farms along the road had posted signs naming all the crops they were growing. After driving past farms for 5 days without knowing what we were seeing, it was nice to finally get some answers.

I'm sleepy now, so I'll pick up this up tomorrow. Stay tuned.......