Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Falling Behind

The wedding was great. We had 11 of us staying in this huge old house in downtown Charleston and it was a blast. I tried to keep in mind my dad's advice about law school (it's 3 years where you're the most boring person on Earth) and I only talked about school in any depth with the lawyer in the house. Luckily, I'm still interesting enough (barely) to carry on a conversation without talking about school.

And speaking of school..... A couple weeks ago, in a fit of giddiness brought on by free pizza, I signed up to compete in the school's mediation competition. The giddiness was so strong that I couldn't even be stopped by the fact that I was going to be out of town the weekend before it started.

So, the competition started yesterday. Even beforehand, I was regretting signing up. I'm still trying to catch up with what I missed while I was gone, and the competition does require some time that could maybe be better spent reading CivPro. (yeah, right) So, my optimal outcome would be for us to do just well enough to not make it into the semi-finals. Anyway, yesterday was a real downer. We missed some opportunities in the mediation and lost. The good news is, it was a good learning experience. Today's opponents are among my best friends in the school, so it started out more easygoing. The judges were a little easier to deal with, too. In fact, it was an extremely successful mediation. I don't know if we won, but I don't really care at this point. Both of our teams did very well, so it's really a tossup on who comes out on top. Just coming out of it with the feeling that we did everything right is good enough for me at this point.

Still, I'll have to think a little harder before I sign up for anything more....