Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Thursday, December 30, 2004

I'm Back

Well, I got back Tuesday, but I'm still in vacation mode, so I haven't been doing a whole lot.

Travel was relatively uneventful for me, but my sister got caught up in the ugliness at USAirways on the 23rd. First, her flight from Italy to Philadelphia had to be diverted to DC because of bad weather. Of course, they couldn't let her off the plane there, even though someone in the family could have picked her up easily. After 3 hours on the ground (and one incident where the paramedics took someone off the plane) they flew to Philly. Of course, she had already missed her flight to Baltimore, so they put her on the next one they had, scheduled to arrive at 9:30. They then proceeded to delay the flight in 40 minute to 1 hour increments. My brother and I got to the airport at 10:30 to pick her up, but we didn't actually leave with her until 2:30 AM. Her baggage didn't catch up with her until the afternoon on Christmas day. On the bright side, we went to pick her up in my dad's new car, so every time the flight was delayed we took it out for a spin. Not a bad way to pass the time.

As for me, I didn't accomplish a whole lot. My triumph was watching all 10 hours of Band of Brothers on DVD. It's pretty amazing. I would recommend that everyone watch it, unless you're squeamish about realistic depictions of people's legs being blown off (e.g. my mom). The show follows one company in the 101st Airborne from their training, through the landing at D-Day and the Battle of the Bulge, to the end of the war. My grandfather was in the 13th Airborne, which never saw combat. I'm happy he never had to go through what those guys did.

Christmas dinner was our usual all-American blend. My dad and my stepmom hosted. My brother, sister, stepbrother and stepsister were all there. My mom was there, as was my grandmother (mom's mother), and my aunt and uncle (mom's brother and his wife). The great thing is, we make it work. I love my family.