Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Thursday, December 30, 2004

Interview Update

I had the second interview with the big lawfirm today. (As rescheduled from last week.) It wasn't quite as good as the first interview, but I still think it went well. There were 6 half hour interviews with lawyers from the patent group, then I had lunch with 2 more from the group. Just about everybody was pleasant and interesting to talk to, but I did run low on energy after a while.

On the other hand, they continue to impress with their speedy follow-up. Last time, it took them 45 minutes to get back to me. This time, I got a phone call within 4 hours. The recruiter said they were happy with how things went and wanted references. Actually, she didn't even want to talk to my professors - just someone from my old job is enough.

I actually came into law school thinking that I would prefer to work for a small firm. That may still be true for the long term, but this interviewing experience has been so nice that these guys are looking like a pretty good choice, even though they're definitely not small. Everyone seems smart and they really seem to love what they're doing.