Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Sunday, December 12, 2004

Worst Assignment Ever

***** Below is a post that may walk a little bit on the wrong side of that line between ranting and whining. Please feel free to ignore it. ***

I just finished a required self-evaluation sort of thing for BLS (Basic Legal Skills). The people running the program, in a brilliant move, decided to make the thing due the same day as our first exam. That's pretty sensible to me - I mean, what could we possibly have to do the day before our Civpro exam other than answer their ridiculous questions. Luckily, they decided to help us out by giving us questions that were pointless and almost insulting. Somewhere in the middle of the thing, I started to think that it would be better to just drop out of law school, rather than finish this idiotic assignment.

First we had to evaluate ourselves on a series of questions that are basically how well we understand "lawyer stuff" and list the thing that we've worked on for the class that best shows our ability for each question. (e.g. how well do you understand stare decisis?) Then we get stupid, middle-school level questions about whether we've learned to be better people in the last quarter.

The sad thing is, this isn't a bad class. I definitely know a lot more about legal writing now than I did 3 months ago. I produced a couple memos that were pretty good (I think). They're just obsessed with this self-evaluation/reflection thing, which really sucks away my enjoyment of the good parts.

However, I've made it through the thing without dropping out of law school, so it could be worse. I'll have to think about whether to leave this post up. Back to studying......