Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Easy Day

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I have 4 classes for a total of 4.5 hours. It's pretty tiring, especially at the end of the second class when I realize I'm only halfway done.

Today was pretty nice, though. ProfContracts took the class to go over the problem from the midterm. It really helped to see how she would have organized her thinking on it, which will be good for the final. On the other hand, with each new thing she pointed out, I thought, "I don't think I saw that one." After a while, I started to wonder if I had gotten anything right on the exam, even though my grade seems to suggest I got something right.

ProfTorts brought in a guest speaker, a friend of his who is assistant general counsel at a local coffee chain I'll call MegaCoffeeCorp. He had been well-coached beforehand by ProfTorts, so he structured his talk around the elements of negligence. It was pretty interesting seeing how the things we're discussing in class turn into business considerations for him. There was also an interesting diversion into the appropriate temperature to serve coffee.

Property didn't have any special events, but it was still pretty nice. We've gotten to a topic that ProfProperty finds really fascinating. Most of the time, he runs the class at a pretty even energy level, but when we started talking about public trust doctrine and navigation rights, his eyes just lit up.

In Civpro, we spent the whole class talking about how Dioguardi should have written his complaint. Then ProfCivpro gave us a pep talk about life and stuff in the hallway afterwards.

On the down side, I made a girl cry today. I asked about her husband and she told me they were splitting up. I felt terrible. I offered to change the subject, but I couldn't come up with anything, so we just sat there for a few minutes before the other conversation at the table drew us back in.