Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Thursday, February 24, 2005

Food Blogging

I don't know that I'd consider myself a "foodie", but D and I definitely appreciate good food. We've had a few excellent meals over the years, mostly for special occasions. Some of the best in DC were Vidalia, Kinkead's, Colvin Run Tavern and 2941. The best meal I've ever had (and the most expensive) was at Galileo.

So, one problem of being in a new city has been figuring out where the really good places to eat are. (The other problem has been having less money to spend on food cuz of that whole tuition thing.) In the last few days, I've come across a few blogs that are helpful in that area. First, Venkat at Begging to Differ (which I already read) posted some of his favorite places in town. Then, I found Seattle Bon Vivant. I think I've gotten more good restaurant recommendations from there in the last day than any other time since we got here. Particularly nice is that they both seem to live fairly near me, so their idea of where to go matches up with what I'm willing to go to. (As opposed to driving way south to go to the dim sum place my in-laws took us to last summer.)

As a special bonus, a new restaurant just opened around the corner from us. I read about them last week in one of the alternative papers and thought "Hey, that address looks familiar..." They're already on my good side because they made their next door neighbor tear down this building that was a blight on the whole neighborhood. Anyway, they had a little open house last Saturday where they gave out free samples of their appetizers. If they're able to maintain that level of quality we got there, I think they'll do ok. It's too expensive to be a regular thing, but it could be good for a special treat.

If you're a competent cook with grand pretensions (like me), you might want to try the recipe I made for D for Valentine's Day - Baked Scallops and Seared Beef Tournedos with Artichoke Hearts and Asparagus Tips. It was probably the best meal I've ever made and it's definitely proof that better ingredients make for better-tasting food.

Mmmm.... now I'm hungry...