Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Close Call

As I was writing the last post, I got an IM from my classmate who lives in the house next door to me. All she told me was that someone ran a car through our fence. I had heard a loud noise earlier, but we live pretty near a main road so I didn't think much of it. But, I went out to investigate and sure enough, a car had gone right through the fence. Basically, somone parked a van in a driveway across the street from our little community and forgot to put the parking break on. The van rolled down the driveway and across the street, possibly hitting a car in the process. It went through the fence by another neighbor's house, hit their car and drove the car into the side of the house. The car is probably going to be totalled and there's a big bulge in the inside wall of their garage from where the car hit it.

It could have been worse, though. If the van had missed the house, it would have picked up a lot more speed heading downhill and could have done some serious damage to the house at the bottom of the hill. And, just as important, there were no pedestrians in the way either.

Anyway, such is the joy of city living. Never a dull moment, even when you're studying.