Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Thursday, March 17, 2005

One Left

Civpro was ok. As exams go, it was pretty dull and seemed straightforward. In a way, it was kinda disappointing, because it was so much like our midterm. Some of the prof's old exams were pretty interesting, so it was a letdown to get what we ended up with.

I kept up my pattern of showing up several hours early for afternoon exams. I'm a pretty strong extrovert, so I've found that being around people and talking settles me down. Of course, that only works if we don't spend the whole time talking about the exam. Happily, on Monday and Wednesday, I ended up talking with O, who's a pretty laid-back guy about class stuff. We were doing fine until our class gunner showed up to hang out. I do actually like him, but he's kind of a pain. In this case, he couldn't seem to stop talking about the exam. I tried to distract him by asking about his kids, which works on every parent I've ever met, but it only distracted him for a few minutes before he was back to talking about compulsory counterclaims. One of my classmates think's he does it to psych out the competition, but I'm not sure. He was even worse on Monday - he came up to us and started talking about secondary implied assumption of risk 20 minutes before the exam. I walked away after 3 sentences of it. So, I've decided that if he is doing it intentionally, I should take it as a compliment and move on.

All I have left is Contracts tomorrow morning. I'm not sure I know it all, but I'm pretty sure that I can't do much more studying. Instead, I foresee a pleasant night of watching The OC, so I can spend my brainpower more usefully to answer questions like "Could I ever be as cool as Sandy Cohen?" (Answer: no)

If you happen to think of it before 12:30 PT, send happy Contracts thoughts.