Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Competition Results

Well, we didn't make the cut. We lost on the second night. Although I'm happy to have my free time left, I am a little disappointed. There was no question in my mind that the best argument was on the other side. But there was also no question in my mind that the worst argument was on the other side. I think that the judges gave the latter a little too much credit, which pushed them over the top.

However, years of involvement in ballroom dancing competitions has given me a lot of perspective on this kind of subjectively-judged competition. First of all, sometimes judges make bad decisions. Often, however, they just have a different set of criteria from what you think they should. That may or may not be the appropriate criteria, but you can't really make them change it, no matter what you think. (That's why they're the judges.)

One team made the cut and then withdrew. They couldn't deal with all the extra time it would take. A couple other teams were not thrilled to make it, for the same reason. As for me, I have a wife who was much happier to have me at home yesterday evening. I did have way more fun doing the arguments than I expected. And I got to watch the finale of Gilmore Girls yesterday. Now all I need to do is catch up on the episodes of The OC that I missed.