Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Sunday, May 08, 2005

Hit With the Stick (Self-Inflicted)

Well, I needed something to get me blogging again, so when Evan went looking for someone to pass the book meme to, I had to grab the chance.

So, on to the questions...


You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?
Hmmm... that's a toughie, especially considering that everyone's probably claimed all the really trendy books. OK, I'll go for Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brien. Because sometimes what you really need is a fun novel that can also teach you how to sail an 18th century warship.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character? Lorelai Gilmore. Oh, and Thursday Next.

The last book you bought is: The Transparent Society by David Brin. I got it at the book-signing, but I've been so busy since then that I haven't had a chance to read it. I usually try to stick to fiction during school, so it's probably going to have to wait until after exams.

The last book you read: Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde. It was my second time through the book, I think and the first time reading the British version we got in the Great White North. I finished it last week, which put me in the position to move on to....

What are you currently reading? The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde. After my fever dreams about federalism a couple weeks ago, I have to make sure to read something light before I actually go to sleep.

Five books you would take to a deserted island: Difficult question. If I'm going to be stuck with these, I'd better not pick something that I can read too quickly. I'm going to cheat a little bit and include a series or two.
First, the obvious - The Lord of the Rings.
The Aubrey/Maturin books by Patrick O'Brien. There's 20 of them and I've only read 3, so I'd have a lot more to read. Also, see above for the practical value of the books. I'm not sure what to go for after that, so I'm going to take a quick walk around the house and look at the bookcases.
Practical Chinese Reader. This was the textbook I used when I was taking Chinese classes a couple years ago. I stopped as law school got nearer, but I figure if I'm going to be stuck on a deserted island, I might have more time to study again. I'd probably want to cheat and bring the language tapes, too.
How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman. They're not kidding. Well, maybe exaggerating a little bit.
I'm not sure about the last book. I'll come back tomorrow after I get some sleep and fill this in. (Appellate brief is due tomorrow morning. We just finished.)

Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons)? And Why? Well, most everybody I read who would do this has already done it, so I'm going to go a little further afield. So, this goes out to my brother Andy, who should have started a blog by now anyway. And to D, who blogs at Livejournal but won't let me link to her. And to whatever third person would like to claim it.

Now that's enough for me. Time for bed.