Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Monday, June 13, 2005

CrimLaw? Ugh. First Day? Good.

OK, so the Crimlaw exam sucked. The Prof has his own special way of writing exams, which is like no exam I've ever taken. He gives you plenty of warning about it, but it's still crazy. And closed book. The worst part is that his exam problems are based on real cases, and you're expected to predict how the court ruled. I predicted wrong. Now, I'm not the kind of person that would look up the answer after the exam was over, but that's unfortunately not true of everybody. Someone in my class looked it up right after the exam was over and then blabbed it at the end-of-year picnic a half-hour later. I don't know if it'll matter, but it certainly doesn't make me feel better about the whole experience.

The first day of work, however, was pretty nice. Not overly exciting, since it was all computer training and stuff, but still good. Despite the late start, there were actually 11 other summer associates starting today. 5 of us from TVPNU and 1 from Chicago, which is another quarter system school. The rest just wanted a longer vacation, I think. (And good for them if that's the reason!) Strangely, there's only one other guy in the group. I don't know what to make of that. Anyway, it was a frenzy of training and filling out forms, basically. I did stop in to see my office at the end of the day, and let me just say: Wow. When I worked at the consulting firm, I had an office the same size, but I shared it with 2 other people. And the view from the office is spectacular. Don't get me wrong, that's not a reason I would choose the firm or not, but it is a nice little bonus. Certainly more than I was expecting.

Even better, I don't even have to be in until 9:30 tomorrow. There's a diversity breakfast, but since I'm not diverse, I don't have to go. Not so bad, really.