Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Victory - 1L Year Is Done

I turned in the law review write-on at about 3 on Friday. By the end, it didn't even suck. Or, it sucked a lot less than it did the week before. And, at least I didn't have to stay up all night to finish, like one of my friends did.

D is very happy with that. She understands why law review is important, but that didn't really make her any happier that I was still working on school things after exams were over. Inconveniently, my mom arrived just 5 hours after I turned in the write-on. It's nice to have her visiting, but it would be nice to have a little quiet time with D, too.

So, now I get to move on to the next crisis. The bid period is approaching for OCI. I'm going to have to put together a cover letter, I guess. Really, though, I don't know what to do with all of the firms. Even after an initial filter - only including local firms and eliminating the ones that don't do technology-related work (not necessarily patent prosecution) - there's still 20-25 firms. It's hard to muster up any enthusiasm for the whole thing. That's particularly true since my first 2 weeks of work this summer have been so interesting and fun. Why should I look somewhere else if these guys are so great? Of course, I know that I'll be happier if I try somewhere else, too, even if it just confirms that the first firm is right for me. But, sometimes it's hard to fight laziness.