Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

It's been so long since I posted that I'm not even going to bother with a summary of the last few weeks. The short version is that I'm celebrating not being in school by reading and watching TV, instead of spending the evening on the computer. It's not such a bad thing.

The problem is, I may have actually taken on too much reading. I celebrated my paycheck by buying books two and three of the Baroque Cycle. Of course, since I haven't read the first book in a year, I figured I ought to go back and read that, too. So, I've basically assigned myself 2500 pages of reading. And that doesn't even include the new Harry Potter book, which we have on pre-order from amazon.co.uk (it's all about the authenticity for us). Luckily, D's going to read it first, so I have a little longer to finish the books.

So, work itself is still pretty great. Patents work is still interesting. In a weird way, I feel more like an electrical engineer now than I have in years, maybe even since college. I've been assigned projects that require me to look at (and relearn) areas of EE that I haven't thought about in years. In fact, today I was relearning basic circuit theory - the sort of thing that was second nature to me 10 years ago. (Geez. 10 years since I took that class. That's disturbing.)

I'm still enjoying all of the summer associate program bonuses, too. (Mandatory disclaimer: don't worry, I'm not fooled by it. I'm just reveling in it because I know that it'll never be this good again.) We've had several nice visits to the sites of big clients. And the free lunches, of course.

Oh, and the high point of it all? The firm was vilified by name on a big news site a couple weeks ago. I'm still trying to be slightly anonymous, so I won't point to the article. In short, it's sort of like if Fox News says that you suck. Sure, you don't like to be told that you suck, but the fact that they care is kinda a point of pride.