Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Our copy of the new Harry Potter book arrived yesterday. Not bad, given that it had to come from England (courtesy of amazon.co.uk).

If I'd written this yesterday, I would have said "Great! Now I just have to read 350 pages of Neal Stephenson in the time it takes D to read 608 pages of JK Rowling." Instead, I'm stuck saying "Great. How long is it going to take me to read 280 pages of Neal Stephenson, since D is already finished the book." She's a super-fast reader and she had the day off. When I got home, she had already started rereading...

Unfortunately, all of this reading is keeping me from the one thing I should be working on - getting my OCI stuff together. My resume is fine, especially once I gave up on the idea that I could do it in one page. All of my possible writing samples are pretty lame, so I'm just going to pick the least sucky of them and go with it. It's the damn cover letter that is bugging me. I don't know what to write and I just don't feel like it. A big part of me wants to just skip it and count on working at the same place next summer. Anyway, I guess I'll get to it over the weekend. I'll tell you, I sure know how to have a good time.