Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Well, like I said, I sure do know how to have a good time. I spent much of Saturday reading Book 6. Foolishly, I tried to go to bed at midnight with 100 pages to go. I was so keyed up that it took me at least an hour to fall asleep. I would have gotten the same result if I had just finished it in the first place. But, I very much enjoyed it. The ending left me sad and concerned, so I think she did it just right. I'm already looking forward to re-reading it. In fact, I might already be re-reading it, if my dad hadn't claimed it. It took him 10 minutes in the house (he and my step-mom are visiting for a bit) to grab the book. I'd complain more, except that I still have 3 of his Patrick O'Brien books.

So, we got the results of the law review write-on over the weekend. I got invited to join the Asia/Pacific Rim journal. I'll admit, I was a little disappointed not to make it onto the main journal. But, I'm also pretty excited about this one. For one thing, I really like the people from my class that got invited to join. And, as a bonus, the most annoying guy in my section made it onto the main journal. I'm just as happy that I won't have to put up with his crap. In addition, this is a nice opportunity to pay attention to my interest in Asia. I studied Japanese for 9 years, but every time I've ever had to make a choice between Japanese and something else, the something else has always won. Now, I had good reasons for that, such as not wanting to move to the other side of the world from D. But, this is a nice chance to do something with it.

I'm within a day or so of filing my first patent. The partner I'm working for gave me the go-ahead today, so I just need to get the inventor's approval and then we can send it off. So, I definitely have something to show for the summer. I also had my midpoint review today. Basically, they told me good things and just reminded me that I should keep the lawyers appraised of how things are going when I'm working on stuff with soft deadlines.