Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Monday, August 15, 2005

Family, family, family.

I guess this is what happens when you make a big move. Everyone comes to visit. First, my mom came to visit for a week back in June. Then my dad and my stepmom were here at the end of July and beginning of August. Happily, we had a good time with both visits. They're all good at entertaining themselves, so D and I didn't have to worry too much about scheduling them. When we did get together, we did nice stuff like take the ferry over to one of the islands and walk around there, instead of the same old tourist stuff. So, both visits by parents were successful. And now, but my mom and my stepmom want to move here. In my mom's case, it might happen. I think it's a lot less likely with my dad and stepmom.

D's parents came to visit over the weekend. Actually, they came partially to see us and partially on their yearly pilgrimage to the Asian grocery (there's not one in the town they live in). They got here Saturday afternoon and left after lunch on Sunday, so it wasn't a long trip. They're really nice people, so it was good having them around. They do tend to drive D a little crazy, though.

And, in less than 2 weeks, my brother, my sister and my sister's boyfriend are all coming to visit. That's gonna be a great time. My only regret is that they can't stay longer. But, my sister is only in the US for a month and she has a lot to do. And my brother is starting a new job in a new city on September 1, so he doesn't have a lot of time to spare either. So far my only plan is to show them the place where a large part of one of our favorite movies was filmed. To my surprise, when I moved here, I found out that it's just a couple blocks from my house. (I wonder if I've said enough to ruin the surprise.)

One final thing, since we're on the subject of my brother. He deserves a big high-five for defending and getting his PhD. So, now he's Dr. Andy, which is damn cool. He's headed off to a post-doc-ish job in TVPNM's sister city, Thinly-Veiled Midwest Metropolis. Then he'll be off to take over the world.