Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Sunday, August 21, 2005

OK, I guess I may get the patent application out after all. After giving me a bajillion comments on my last draft (requiring a complete rewrite of one section), they came back on Friday with 2 comments, both of which were trivial to deal with. Now, if we can get the forms signed, I think I'll actually managed to get it filed before I leave. Very exciting. Of course, the chances of getting it granted aren't great, but that's not really my problem.

So, I mentioned a while back that I was trying to pick a topic for the tech law clinic this year. Back in June, I mentioned one idea to the professor running the clinic. He mentioned that he knew a lawyer in town who did a lot of work in that area. Of course, then I got caught up in the summer work and never followed up on it. The other day, I suddenly realized two things. First, that lawyer that the professor knew? He's a nationally known expert in the area. Second? He works at my summer firm, one floor up from where I've been sitting all summer. Yep, I'm an idiot. The only reason I figured it out is that I took an assignment from him on Thursday. Anyway, I'm going to try to have coffee with him before I'm done on Friday.

Apparently, the OCI firms needed a little more time to decide, so we have to wait till next Monday to find out what interviews we get. I've already discovered that I didn't request one firm that I thought I had requested. Now, I can't remember if that was intentional, or just me being forgetful (as usual).