Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

The Friday of OCI week I headed back East for a vacation. I had a wedding to go to in Maryland the following weekend, but I figured it would be fun to go back early and visit my friends. So, the plan was for me to head out on Friday, with D coming out the following Thursday.

But first, a little interlude in which I tell everyone how I'm a big idiot. I thought my plane was leaving at 11:55, when in fact it was supposed to leave at 10:55. As a bonus, it was raining that day, so the bus to the airport was delayed. I actually checked my bag at about 10:55. Then I went to the gate, where there was a sign saying that departure was delayed until 11:40. "Hmmm... That's strange. How could it be delayed until 11:40?" And only then did I look at my ticket. And felt sick to my stomach. The delay saved me from my own stupidity. Then, my connecting flight was delayed, too, so I had no problems making the connection. All in all, it was a pretty lucky day for me. (Not so for my sister, who had her flight to Italy cancelled.)

My first reaction when I got out of the airport was "Oh my God. How did I ever live with this humidity?" So, apparently, it doesn't even take a year of living out here to turn you into a weather wuss. In my defense, the temperature got up to 92 in DC last Friday. Ugh.

I used my vacation time well, I think. I went ballroom dancing on Saturday night. Some of my local friends came along, and there were a ton of college students to dance with as well. (And to make me feel old.) Then the family and I went to my dad's weekend place on the Eastern Shore for a few days. I went sailing with my dad and my stepmom's nephew. I don't know why they bring me along - I'm bad luck. Most of the time, my presence means that there will be no wind. And then there was the time with all the rain. This time, there wasn't much wind, so our trip that we thought would take 4 hours took 7 hours instead. Still, it was a nice trip, and I managed to make it through with minimal sunburn. It would have been better if we'd brought beer, but that's what happens when my stepmom packs, I guess.

Anyway, this post has already gone on too long, so I'll summarize the rest of the week. I visited the old office on Tuesday and wasted many productive programmer hours talking to them. I had lunch with my grandmother and dinner with my best friend from high school. And, we went to the wedding on Saturday. I had a nice time, and it was great to see that group of friends (from college), since I don't get to see them often these days. D and I danced a little bit, including a very fun Lindy Hop (although she wouldn't let me do any lifts).

Then back to TVPNM on Sunday, just in time to start school yesterday. But, that's for another post, cuz I'm done now.