Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Monday, September 05, 2005

OK, so what have I been doing with my time since I last posted? Well, I had my last day of work a week and a half ago. My final week ended up being pretty dull. I finished up my major assignments the middle of the second-to-last week, so I picked up a time-filler assignment. Basically, read all the comments on a particular proposed rule-making by an administrative agency and then summarize them. The subject matter was very interesting, but the actual work was pretty brain-dead, which is not such a bad thing going into the final week. At least there was no danger of not finishing. As it happened, I finished on Wednesday morning and had a day and a half with nothing much to do. Like any good summer associate, I filled it with coffee, smoothies and free lunch.

That weekend, my brother Andy, my sister Christina, and Christina's boyfriend Alfio came to visit. This was the first time any of them had come to visit since we got to town. We had a great time, although it wasn't really long enough. Christina and Alfio have a lot of ground to cover before they head back to Europe, so they couldn't really stay. And Andy started a new job in a new city last Thursday, so he definitely didn't have much time to spare. He's just started a new blog, so maybe I'll be able to point you to his side of the story soon. Anyway, the visit was excellent. We didn't do much in the way of activities, as such. We did more of just walking around the cool neighborhoods in the city and looking a street art and stuff. Christina and Alfio particularly liked the used record stores - Alfio even bought Inagadda Da Vida on vinyl. I'm not even sure he has a turntable, but there you go. I was sad to see them go.

My dad has a plan for next summer that could be even better, though. He's decided that he wants to get the whole family together for a vacation - in Greece. He's even offering to pay for housing and food while we're there. This sounds so good that I've decided that whatever work I do next summer will just have to fit in around the trip. Some things are just too important. I'm sure I'll be writing more about this in the coming months.

Finally, OCI is next week. I have interviews with 6 firms, out of the 10 I bid for. (11, actually, but one decided they weren't hiring.) I'm only really interested in one of them, but I'm at least going to see what they have to say for themselves. A really big part of me wants to just blow them all off and go back to the same place as this summer. (Assuming they make me an offer. I'm supposed to get word on Thursday or Friday. So far, things are looking good.) Anyway, it'll be two per day Monday through Wednesday and then done after that. I have a friend who has 15 interviews, including 5 on Thursday. He's a really good guy, so I'm happy for him, but I hope he doesn't forget who he's talking to by interview 10.

This week, however, I have exciting plans to get in some quality video game playing. I started playing God of War last week and it's definitely living up to the reviews.