Jim's Polka

The life of a former software engineer, now a law student

Monday, November 14, 2005

OK, time for me to get a little perspective. Sure, it's going to be a pain to write my note for the journal - a lot of work and all that. Still, people have done harder things. For example, I now have my very own (electronic) copy of my brother's PhD thesis. It weighs in at 125 pages. Of course, he had a lot longer to work on it, but he also had to write to code to build the models and get the data. So, I'm thinking he had the harder task. 25 or 30 pages should be easy, in comparison.

I remain impressed by my brother's PhD. So very cool that he finished it so well. I'm about 25 pages into the thesis and I'm happy to say that I've understood everything so far. I'm still adjusting to the idea that my brother (economics major) knows significantly more math than I do (engineering major). I'm expecting that the remaining 100 pages will get harder to understand. I did appreciate being mentioned in the acknowledgements. I'm thanked one paragraph earlier than the 10-foot papier mache head. I'm so honored.

As for me, I'm getting ready to submit my topic proposal this week. I think it's a good topic, and I've already found an advisor to work with (my Patents prof), so I'm hoping it'll get approved without too much trouble. Then, Japanese law, here I come!